CAUSES OF TOXICITY
- Poor diet: refined & highly processed foods, fried foods, dairy products, refined sugars,
hydrogenated oils, fast food, chemical additives, preservatives, pesticides, fertilizers and
- Drugs: medications, smoking, alcohol and recreational drugs, vaccines/inoculations, OTC drugs, i.e. ibuprofen, synthetic "vitamins"
- Environmental pollution: air, water, noise, electromagnetic, household cleaning products, outgassing from carpets, building materials, paints, solvents, flame retardants, amalgam fillings
- Poor digestion, especially "leaky gut" syndrome: toxin absorption through gaps in the intestinal wall.
EFFECTS OF TOXICITY
Your Body Manages Toxins in Three Progressive Stages:
- Isolation & Mutation
Normally, your body deals with toxins by eliminating them. If the toxic burden becomes greater than what your body can handle, toxins become deposited in body tissue and increase free radical production, causing systemic damage and inflammation. Compromised liver function also causes the other organs of elimination (lungs, kidneys, skin and colon) to become overburdened and toxic themselves. The liver is an essential part of your body's ability to neutralize and eliminate toxins. In this regard, it is like the oil filter in your car. Over time, several factors (causes listed above) can make the liver congested and sluggish, and overwhelm its detoxifying ability.
If the toxin load continues and the liver is not allowed to recover, the body will wall off these toxins to separate them from vital tissues. Recent research shows that actual genetic alterations in cells may also occur, leading to mutation and abnormal cell production. The result can be the formation of masses or tumors. This does not a completely explain all cases of cancer, but the idea that body toxicity contributes to most chronic illness is growing in acceptance.
SYMPTOMS OF LIVER TOXICITY
In people with unhealthy liver function, toxins accumulate—especially in fat tissue, the nervous system and brain. These toxins also circulate in the blood and contribute to many long-term health problems:
- chronic fatigue, muscle, joint and nerve inflammation & pain (e.g. arthritis, fibromyalgia), atherosclerosis,
- blood sugar imbalance, food and airborne allergies, headaches, skin rash, chemical sensitivity, premenstrual symptoms, poor fat digestion, gastritis, colitis, weight gain, impaired concentration, asthma,
- decreased mental acuity, and much more.
In my experience, effective liver detoxification is one of the single most powerful tools for regaining and maintaining long-term health and vitality.
ADDRESSING AND PREVENTING LIVER TOXICITY
Over the years I have seen the potential that liver detoxification has for improving life quality. I generally recommend that people detoxify their liver a minimum of once and ideally twice a year.
There are many ways to help the liver decongest and free itself of accumulated toxins. The methods I have found useful include a modified diet, specific herbal and nutritional support, light aerobic exercise, and a Far Infrared Sauna.
During a detoxification or purification program temporary “clearing symptoms” like headaches, fatigue, gas, changes in bowel habits and lightheadedness may occur. This is all to be expected and is diagnostic in itself that toxicity is an issue and that the program is working. If the temporary symptoms are beyond what can be tolerated the detox program can be adjusted. We recommend filling out a toxicity questionnaire to help determine where your toxic load is currently. You will find the questionnarie link on the upper right side of this page.
After the initial clearing phase, people generally report improved mental clarity, physical energy and emotional balance. Each detox tends to be easier than the last.
Effective liver detoxification is one of our most powerful tools for restoring and maintaining health, vitality and wellness. As part of our program we include a 21-day Purification program that promotes Phase I/Phase II detoxification of the liver and helps the body eliminate common toxins including those that cause endocrine disruption.
Another added tool we offer patients to promote, aid and accelerate detoxification is our Infrared sauna. Click this link for additonal information on Infrared Sauna Therapy